- East Sussex
St Margaret's was built around 1250AD, the year that Margaret Queen of Scotland was canonised. It is a Grade 1 listed sandstone building in the Early English style, with the majority of the building remaining unaltered since the 13th century, although the tower is a later addition.
It is situated in Buxted Park, to the west of the village, and in the grounds of the Buxted Park Hotel. The village was originally based around the church until, in the 19th century, the 3rd Lord Liverpool became the owner of the Park House and landlord of the village. He allowed the housing to deteriorate and encouraged the population to move away to the other side of the valley!
Further details are to be found in a booklet available in church.
St. Margaret's has a number of key features which make our church special to us. We sincerely hope that, after reading this page, you will want to visit the church to see these features for yourself. On entering the church, there are paddle guides to help you as you walk round the church.
Music is very important to us in St Margaret's. We have a Senior choir which accompanies our sung services. Our All-age service has accompaniment provided by a small music group. Please link to the Music and Choir page to learn more about our music.
St Margaret's has a fine peal of eight bells, which were renovated, tuned and rehung in 2008. There is an enthusiastic team of ringers. Please see the Bells page for a photo and further details.
St. George's Chapel
This chapel is used for quiet prayer and commemoration of those who fell in the two World Wars. Among the names on the Roll of Honour is that of Fergus Bowes-Lyon, a brother of the late Queen Mother. She was a bridesmaid at his marriage in our church to a daughter of the Countess of Portarlington. This was in 1914, but alas he was to die for his country twelve months later. There is a Prayer Request Board situated in the Chapel. Prayers left here will be made at the Thursday morning communion service.
The churchyard has a number of key features:
- The large yew tree to the east of the church is over 2,000 years old. Behind the church entrance door is a certificate that attests to this fact. The yew tree is also featured on the website www.ancient-yew.org . Hundreds of cuttings were taken from this tree, blessed by Bishop Eric and distributed to churches across the country to celebrate the millennium.
- There are four Commonwealth war graves in the churchyard.
- On the eastern wall of the churchyard is the grave of Christopher Wordsworth, Rector of St. Margaret's from 1820 to 1846. He subsequently became Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge University. He was the youngest brother of the poet William Wordsworth.
- Also in the churchyard is the grave of the author Winston Graham who lived in Buxted until his death in 2003. He wrote over 40 novels, including the famous Poldark series.